Friday, April 30, 2021

Leave a buddy behind? Never! Leave his widow behind? GOD FORGIVE US, because we've done so in Colorado!


I WILL NEVER LEAVE A
FALLEN COMRADE TO FALL INTO THE HANDS OF THE ENEMY. 

That's a standard first set by Rogers' Rangers in 1756 and a formal part of today's Ranger Creed. It is perfectly understood by every American soldier, sailor, airman and Marine:

 "I’m not going to leave my buddy on the battlefield if he’s wounded, I’m going to try not to leave him on the battlefield if he’s dead.”

I know that if I fall in battle, all of America's military might is there to get me out. And just as understood, never do we leave our buddy’s spouse behind. For my buddy's family will always come before my own.

I know that my deceased crew mates Larry, Ed, Mattie, the Gif, Gabby, Bob, Arch, Turcotte, Paul, Fred, Bill, Aaron, Ski, Gail, Maylene – they knew we got flight pay and hostile fire pay because of the risks we signed on for. Also, they all knew we would never abandon their loved ones. I know all two million now in uniform plus every veteran, was there to protect my wife and kids if I hadn’t made it back to base. At least, that's the case everywhere in the US, except that in Colorado it has been a hard sell. 

Here in the great mile-high Centennial State, we've dropped the ball when it comes to Gold Star Spouses, survivors of troops who die on active duty. We protect our disabled veterans' survivors as is right and proper, but we've excluded every one of the 150 surviving spouses of an active-duty death from eligibility under Colorado's Disabled Veteran Survivor Property Tax Exemption.

As an old soldier I find this abhorrent and a dishonorable state action in the extreme. We've left our buddy's spouse behind and there's just no excuse. Certainly, none that a fallen troop, a soldier husband or soldier wife, would accept!

We let this happen through oversight about legislation that created the disabled veterans' spouses' exemption in 2006 and 2014. In doing so legislators specifically used language to disquality around 150 Gold Star Spouses:

."..the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran who previously qualified for a property tax exemption for the same residential real property under paragraph (a) of this subsection (1)"

See our problem? A widow qualifies only as the survivor of a veteran who was already getting the exemption, language making it impossible for the widow of an active military line-of-duty death to be included. In an old movie and an older, very insightful book this was called "Catch-22." 

I've never seen a worse or more gruesome Catch-22! Let's get the United Veterans Coalition and every state legislator behind the correction.UVC, let’s correct this by 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment